Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My sweet boy :)

The other day I had a van load of stuff to drop off at Goodwill, so I asked Cam to ride with me. We don't get to spend a lot of one on one time together, so I thought it would be nice to just chat even though it was a short ride.

I didn't have any pressing issues that needed to be discussed, but I want him to feel comfortable talking to me in general so that it won't be too hard for him to come to me when it's really important.

So, I just started asking him random questions..."What is your favorite number?" (it's 999) "What is your favorite day of the week?" (Friday) "What is your favorite season?" (Summer) and I was actually surprised how much conversation this started. It was fun hearing him explain why these were his answers and believe it or not it is all stuff I didn't know about my kid! Most mom's with boys will agree that if you want a lot of information you have to pry...boys don't offer up a lot of talk. After school I have learned to ask specific questions because if I ask "How was your day?" I get "Good" as an answer every time.

The next question he answered surprised me. I asked "What is your favorite month?" I waited for the answer I knew he would give which was "December" because he loves Christmas and his birthday is in December. Instead he said "April". "April?" I asked..."why?" His answer brought tears to my eyes..."Because that is the month that I became a brother."

Of course my heart melted! It also opened up the opportunity for me to praise him about what a great big brother he is. I told him that I was certain that he was placed on this earth to be a big brother. He is so patient and loving with his sister. I worried that being so far apart in age would keep them from being close, but he does so much for her. He takes care of her, plays dress up with her, has tea parties with her, and loves her more than I ever could have imagined.

It brought me back to the years when we didn't think he would ever be a brother. He would ask for a brother or sister every night in his bed time prayer. It broke my heart. Now that we have our little girl, I can see that things worked out exactly as they should have.

I am blessed beyond measure by both of my kids. I am so thankful for the relationship that they have. I love being a mommy!



1 comment:

  1. Aw, you made me cry! You've done a good job with those two, Mama.

    ReplyDelete